WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Saturday, December 23, 2017

Just having fun!

The thing I love the most about having our MultiCam CNC machines and many other fancy tools in the shop is that I can dream up a part (no matter how complex) and then design and build it in short order. For a project like my Sign Invitational feature this is done on an ongoing basis as needed.

I had a pretty good idea of what the machine would look like when iI did the first sketches but the vision was somewhat fuzzy. I started with the base plate, designing each piece, cutting it and then welding it together or fastening it in place. There's quite the mix of materials including steel plate, Precision Board, various sized pipes, fittings, bearings, shafts, sprockets and pulleys along with lots of sculpting epoxy too. There's a few antique bits and pieces as well. It's quite the collection.

As always it will be the paint that ties it all together visually. I did a little some time ago on a few of the pieces that needed to be painted before assembly. Yesterday, Janessa started painting the base coats on the rest. The colour quickly changed the piece in a dramatic fashion. It's far too bright, monochromatic and new looking for the story I'm telling at this point. Over the next week I'll age things down dramatically. Stay tuned for the fun...