WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Monday, February 13, 2017

Paint, more paint and then more paint yet!

Our MultiCam is good at creating part after part when it needs to. We just throw a sheet of 30 lb Precision Board onto the table, turn on the vacuum hold down and set the machine in motion. It faithfully cranks out part after part. I only need to check on the machine once in a while. When a whole sheet of Precision Board is routed I take off the pieces, blow off the point board and then repeat the process.

In the case of NEB's Fun World we created more than a hundred dimensional signs. The routing was easy as the machine did the bulk of the work. Then we have to assemble and finish them.
Routing plywood backer plates was again easy. Because if the tight tolerances of the machine all the pieces came out perfectly and fit together easily. Because there were so many of each it did take some time. There were 52 number plates, 35 name shields and ten giant pennies plus the pub signs. More than a hundred signs in all.

Painting all these pieces took the time - or I rather should say is taking the time. We use it as a filler job, tucked in between other time sensitive tasks.

The pub signs are done. The fifty-two number plates are also finished. Half of the pennies are complete with the balance down to final detail paint and glazes. Nineteen name shields are finished with five to receive final paint. Eleven are yet to be started. Much has been accomplished with a fair amount yet to be done.

While most of the crew have helped out with the painting it fell to Jenessa to do the bulk of the final steps. I suspect she'll be glad when they are ll done!