WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Sign Invitational Challenge 2017 - Part five

The next step was to assemble the metal pieces. The beauty of working with CNC cut pieces is that they are deadly accurate. I because I was building a box I didn't even have to use a square or level. It was a simple matter of making sure the edges and corners lined up and then tacking everything up. I welded the inside corners first for strength and then ran a bead up the outside edges. This was ground down nice and smooth for looks. 

The Pencil rod came next and then the square tubing. The key is to get the proportions and flow of the piece nailed at this stage for there's no changing things from here on in. The assembly needed to be strong enough to withstand shipping many thousands of miles plus lots of handling.

Tomorrow I'll attach the mesh over which we will sculpt the rocks and other details.