WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Looking to next year at IAAPA

With a successful International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA) EXPO now behind us we are beginning to dream up concepts for next year's show. Our idea to build a one piece display which set up (and take down) in mere minutes worked exceptionally well. We'll build on that concept next year. We are seriously considering taking a twenty foot booth next year, doubling our space. But to keep costs in check we want to pack that doubling of our display into the same compact shipping unit - which has to measure ten feet long by seven and a half feet wide by eight feet tall. That's a challenge!

I began the design working in EnRoute. This allowed me to work accurately and accurately in scale. It also allowed me to tweak the design quickly so all of the pieces fit together. The view from above was of a mini stage with the walls hinged at the corners to fit together perfectly.


Then the walls are unfolded the booth will measure twenty feet wide by ten feet deep. A 'floating' high-tech motor cycle will act as a photo opportunity. We will happily take pictures of our prospects and send them to them afterwards when we follow up on their visit. The motor-cycle will come out from the raised platform on a sliding mechanism and slide back to allow shipping.


Once I had a workable plan it was time to do up the concept art. The top portion of the display will fold down into the canopy for shipping. This folding mechanism will have a hydraulic assist to make the setup easy. This is going to be a whole lot of fun!