WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Friday, February 26, 2016

Dustin

Dustin's name plaque was the next to be done. I used a method and tools that I don't often use in EnRoute. The vectors were designed (as usual) in EnRoute.


To create a chamfered edge I used the bevel tool and the 'limit to height' command. By defining the base (0.35") and the height of the finished relief (0.75") as well of the angle of the bevel (45 degrees)I had full control of the results. There are other ways of accomplishing this task in EnRoute but this is my favourite with a straight bevel (as opposed to a rounded one)



I then modified the base relief by raining the centre portion by 0.1"

The texture was the next addition using the same vector as a mask.



I then created a separate relief using the lettering border vector. It was a flat relief. I guessed at the height I required but this is not critical because after I created the relief I checked the front view and nudged it up one notch to create the look I was going for.




Here's the front view with the lettering outline selected.


I the]]hen merged highest to combine the two reliefs.



The last step was to create the lettering by again modifying the base relief using the lettering vectors. I used the dome tool but used the constant height option and defined the height of the dome as 0.07" The base (or vertical potion of the lettering was 0.15".



The name plaque was then ready to tool path and send off to the MultiCam. Askwith all of the name plaques they are being cut from 1.5" 30 lb Precision Board. I used a rough pass (50% overlap) with a 3/8" ball nose bit and a final pass (80% overlap) using a 1/8" ball nose bit. The piece was then cut out using a 3/8" cutter.