WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Friday, November 28, 2014

All aboard!

This month has been crazy busy - as always it seems. We were out of the shop for ten days to attend a conference in Orlando, Florida and also do a site visit in Trinidad. The crew kept working in our absence and so lots got done.

Before we left we did the concrete work and sculpting on the base.


Once the base was done the two pieces of the sign were assembled in order the mud the base of the top half so it matched up to the bottom.


The next day we applied the fiberglass reinforced concrete to the top portion of the mast and sculpted in the wood grain.

At that point Peter and I left for our trip. The crew would take it from here. As usual they started with three coats of base colors and then overlaid the glazes.


The post, sails and the bulk of the sign are done with just the lettering left to go.


The Gruffle characters make the signs a lot of fun and help tell the story of the entire facility. The next sign is even more fun! Stay tuned...

-dan