WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Monday, July 2, 2012

All plugged up


Today I finally found the time to do the last work on the C & S Electric sign prior to painting. I was working from an existing logo designed by someone else. It looked pretty good but was designed to be printed and not rendered as a 3D design. I had to make some adjustments which I had the owner's blessing to do. I showed how we created the routing file a few posts back. Today it was time to do a little sculpting.


The first order of business was to drill some 5/8" holes in the sign to line up with the electrical cords we had routed into the sign. I cut some 5/8" rod  and used my big hammer to put some slight bends in the two pieces. Then I rummaged through my scrap bin to scrounge up some pipe caps and some short lengths of pipe. I welded the bits together and then used some epoxy to glue everything together.


Once the glue had dried I pounded a rod flat to form the basis for the prongs of the plug. I welded them into place as well.


Then I used a little Abracadabra sculpting epoxy to sculpt the male and female ends of the plug. We'll let it cure overnight before we paint it up tomorrow.


Stay tuned for the paint stage...

-dan