WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Friday, February 10, 2012

Pressing on in spite of temporary doubts

In spite of a whole bunch of other necessary work going on in the shop I could't resist sneaking another half hour with the die grinder on the piece. I whipped on the wood grain, and as I progressed I was more than a little unsure that I may just have wrecked the piece. But I trusted my instincts and pressed on. Then I changed bits to a fine pointed one and started in on the splits in the 'wood' It instantly looked great - just as I had imagined.




You have to look at this piece in context of the rest of the post and sign. I want the woodgrain and weathering to read clearly at a distance. People will be looking at this sign as they drive by in a car.  As we layer on the paint and subtle glazes it will hopefully be magic. 

Now I m ready to fill in the holes and add a few details with the Abracadabra Sculpting epoxy. It's time to kick the router into gear on the next pieces.

-dan