WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Painting and glazing brings projects alive

Paint can make or break any design. And the glazes are the difference between a sign that looks plastic and new to one that has character, depth and age. The picture below shows how the Rovers Return sign looked when we finished the base colors. The building looked crisp and new, but also looked too flat. The brick lines were weak and didn't catch the light as they should.


For the glaze I added some clear base and a bit of water to make it flow, then slopped on a coat of the grungy, dark brown and then wiped it off judiciously with a soft towel. The building instantly came to life. Every crack. crevice and bit of texture suddenly became evident. The building looked like it had been there for a long, long time. I still have to add the lettering on the two small signs.


The plexiglass windows still have to be glued in and I'll be installing some LED lights to make it look like the building is occupied. Stay tuned...

-dan