WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Faster than a speeding tortoise

 As a reward for a bunch of other work that was not quite as enjoyable I did some preliminary sculpting on the Tortoise Beer sign for the Fox and Hounds Pub. Rather than advertise real beer brands we are creating some fun signs for the establishment that simply are fun!

I did a little research on the net and found some great reference material... then I set to sculpting. I roughed in the head first for I knew I wouldn't be able to do it in one go. Sometimes it works better to build up a foundation shape and then go back to add a detailed layer later. This was one of those instances. Then I roughed in the shell and lastly I switched to the feet. It went pretty quick.

He will be realistic but with a great deal of character added to make it a little more fun. The scales of his legs are just balls of Abracadabra Sculpting epoxy pressed on. Lastly I smoothed out the shell, then added his eyes. 

The whole head and neck will get another layer of sculpt tomorrow, with lots of character, wrinkles and laugh lines too. The side view shows just how dimensional this sign really is.


This is so much more fun than actually working!

-dan