WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

One down one to go!

I really love how EnRoute software and the MultiCam take the grunt work out of the projects we do these days. With the designing and the routing out of the way it is time to get down to the really creative end of the project. It didn't take long to squeeze on a rough coat of Abracadabra sculpting epoxy and then do another detailed layer. I worked from his 'steel' boots upward. The idea here was to not get too caught up in detail but rather create the illusion of detail. I also wanted plenty of texture left on the surface so it takes glazes real well. He has to look old when we are done.


Here's a comparison of the two knights, one still largely bare Precision Board and the other one with the sculpting process finished.  A quarter inch steel rod made for a perfect lance shaft.


And as always I had to place him into position to check out how things will look when they are all done.


The sign will hang fairly high when it is done so the knight will lean slightly out, proudly standing guard over the entrance.


Tomorrow's task will be to make the second knight look like the first one...  :)

dan