WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Ready to go!

The crazy pace continues as we near the deadline for completion of the MultiCam project. Tomorrow the weather continues to be nice but the weather man promises a change on Thursday. With our desk too large to put in a box trailer it has to travel out on a flat deck. That means it's moving day tomorrow.

The desk arms are pretty much done and the desk will have it's first coats of paint finished first thing in the morning. We'll load it on the trailer easily here at the shop with the large lifting tools on hand. At the other end it promises to be a different story. The desk will have to be man handled off the trailer, over a retaining wall, into a double door and then twisted as we go in because it simply isn't a straight go with the desk being 12 feet long and 'L' shaped. We've scoped it out and it should go well... but we aren't putting on the final coats of paint until the desk is where it belongs. A scratch or two may just happen... which I'm perfectly OK with... as long as no one gets a scratch on them.


As we were painting the lamp arms this afternoon I asked Rebecca to paint the flexible hoses some bright color...  just for fun. She came up with the most brilliant green possible. It makes me smile every time I see the hoses. We'll see if the color passes muster with the powers that be.

As the MultiCam whittled the last batch of 150 rivets out from a sheet of Precision Board I checked the records to see just how many we used on this project. Between the nautical board room and the front desk we used just shy of 1500 rivets. I suspect we will use a few hundred yet on the staircase feature. I have the coolest idea for that project!  Tomorrow when We get the desk in place I'll take some measurements and notes, a few photographs and scribble out some ideas I have in mind. You can count on the staircase rail not to look like anything you have seen before. Stay tuned...

-dan