WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Instant wildlife

Once the rough sculpt is done and the basic head shape was established I smoothed the head out by dipping my fingers in water. I took a towel and pressed it onto the 'skin' of the nose and lips of the bear head, instantly creating a soft texture, pores and even some wrinkles where there were folds in the cloth. It took seconds.
Then I put on shall bits of the sculpting medium and with a small stick rapidly drew in the hairs. I worked from the bottom up creating random layers, drawing in the lines before moving up.
Once the hair was done I fashioned his coveralls. The texture for the fabric was created by first whetting the sculpt and then pressing in some plastic lawn chair fabric. With the glaze this will be pretty convincing.
The final step was to add his eyes and bow tie. I would let it cure overnight before we got busy with the paint...
-dan