WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Quick progress in little time increments

Once the clamps came off it was time for the handwork. The thing I love about Precision Board os how easy to works. There is no grain to fight with. It is predictable. The die grinder I was using went through the 30 lb board like butter. I started with the edges, trimming the glue lines first, then adding a subtle texture over the entire surface. The scroll required a bit of hand work to form the deep curls - but the sign came together in minutes. A little had carving on the mountain complete that portion of the sign.
Then it was time for a little hand sculpting using an epoxy sculpting medium. It is best compared to plasticine that gets rock hard in about 3 hours.
Then it was time for a little sculpting using an epoxy medium. I used this to create the foreground trees on the lower mountain and the rows of plants in the field. Those didn't take long. At this stage the pictorial is pretty bland but it will come alive as the paint goes on.
Stay tuned...
-dan