WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Monday, April 5, 2010

Helping hands!

Our business could definitely be defined as a family business. We live on a small acreage in a small town. Janis & I have co-owned the business for decades. Our shop is out back, behind the house and our daughter works for us part time. We've employed many other members of our family through the years, including our son Peter, son-in-law Phoenix, various nephews and nieces, cousins, my brother, and many other folks who have been a member of our family while in our employ.

Now we have a grand daughter Phoebe who desperately wants to carry on the tradition. She has spent countless hours in my studio and shop over the last five years. When she was first born she would stay in my studio, often sleeping in my arms while I worked at my desk. As she became more mobile her toys littered my studio. She learned to draw on my knee. Now five, Phoebe loves to spend time in the shop. Her playhouse lives there, on wheels so it can be pushed out of the way when we need the space. She is learning about tools and how to handle them. Her favorite job is painting and when she is wearing her paint clothes she is allowed to help.
Today was such a day. She had a day off kindergarten and she got to spend all day with grampa in the shop. She kept busy in the morning painting various projects of her own including some fancy new designs on her playhouse. But she was constantly looking over her shoulder at my projects for they looked far more interesting. After lunch I let her help. I had saved some shorter signs just for that occasion. Since I was the taller person we decided it best if I painted the top portions of the sign. She would handle the lower parts. We had a grand time working together!

-dan