WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Sunday, March 21, 2010

TEXTURE!!!


Years ago I witnessed the absolute magic of using a sandblaster to reveal the wonderful grains of the wood we were using to make signs. I made countless signs of wood in the next years. Sadly those signs didn't last long in our climate. They would split, warp and throw the paint we put on them. While I loved the look I was more than ready to embrace this new material called high density urethane when it showed up on the market. Through personal research I determined the best qualitry brand to be Precision Board offered by Coastal Enterprises. Better yet they had a complete line of glues and primers which were compatible.

Sandblasting was a job I rated right up there with cleaning the oven. When I learned we could duplicate marvelous woodgrains or any other pattern I could imagine with a CNC router I was delighted!
Once we had mastered the basics of CNC routing I began to experiment with bitmap textures. When I imported them into EnRoute, typed in a value to determine the depth I wanted the texture... and PRESTO... MAGIC was again possible. Only this time there were no limits.

Over a period of time I would create bitmaps for a wide variety of textures in keeping with the theme of the project we were doing. I saved each one and before I knew it I had amassed more than a hundred. Since no one else out there had done similar work we decided to offer them for sale on our website. If you are interested take look and see. www.imaginationcorporation.ca/textures/index

Textures now are an important part of virtually every project we tackle these days. They have become a signature of our work. Building these types of signs is more fun than actually working for a living!

Stay tuned for more...

-dan