WELCOME!

It is hard to believe that it was almost ten years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one of these machines - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Along with the CNC router I discovered the wonderful material called Precision Board and the glues, primers and other companion products they offer. Since then we have gone through many tons of the material using it in most signs and projects we tackle. This journal will chronicle our many adventures both past, present and future. I'll talk from the perspective of someone who pushes these products to the creative limit on a daily basis. I'll be adding to the stories two or three times each week. -dan

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Another quick panel

I had one other quick panel to do... this one to promote the launch of this journal at the show. Since the panel would air freighted to California and then carried on the plane by hand it had to be small. Small made me think of a mouse as I designed it. The panel had to be made from Precision Board of course since that was what we are showcasing. But it would have been my material of choice anyway. The panel was designed in EnRoute software and then routed on our MultiCam CNC router. A few minutes of hand work with the die grinder and it was ready for paint... except I had to add the little sculpture of the mouse first. He was done with sculpting epoxy. It cured over night and then I started the paint.
We use all acrylics painted on by hand with a brush. Two layers of glaze brings things to a finish in a hurry. I decided I would gold leaf the lettering on my name to add some bling. Gold leaf has long been hyped as something difficult expensive and mysterious. It really is none of the above. I painted on the oil based size then allowed it to tack up for about an hour. Two sheets of 23K gold leaf (about 4 bucks worth of gold) was then pressed into the slightly sticky surface and burnished down for a brilliant shine. It took about two minutes to complete the gold - faster than a second coat of paint that would have been needed if they were painted.

I'll send the panel by air courier to California on Monday. I can hardly wait to hear the stories Kellie has to tell after she carries the panel through security at the airport... :)

-dan